The Urban Monk is dedicated to producing high-quality cultured food products.
The Urban Monk
The Christchurch earthquakes opened up the opportunity for enterprising start-ups, many of them environmental in focus, and on Boxing Day, 2012 we launched The Urban Monk as a Facebook page. We registered The Urban Monk as a company in 2014 and in 2015 we launched our special range of cultured vegetables. Since that first little box we sold in Christchurch, we are now all over the country – you can buy our range of krauts from Auckland to Dunedin!
What Makes Urban Monk Krauts So Special?
- Urban Monk is the only maker of locally produced and certified organic fermented vegetables in New Zealand.
- Urban Monk cultured vegetables are guaranteed vegan. – We do not use a starter culture. (Starter cultures are sometimes derived from dairy.)
- With Urban Monk krauts, you are guaranteed to receive ALL the nourishing goodness a cultured vegetable can offer. – We do not pasteurise!
- We use only the best ingredients. – Did we mention the Himalayan rock salt? It’s pink!
- Urban Monk’s philosophy embraces simplicity and a minimal environmental footprint every step of the way. – Our products are hand-crafted and our vegetables are sourced as locally as possible.
- Urban Monk’s philosophy places value on people and social justice. – We support local growers, and wherever possible our spices are sourced from Trade Aid.
- We offer a number of unique flavours of sauerkraut, based on our own lovingly perfected recipes.
- Sauerkraut and beyond! – In addition to our several flavours of sauerkraut, we offer a range of unique non-cabbage based cultured vegetables, such as our Glorious Carrot & Ginger, our Blessed Beetroot and our newest recipe, the Eternal Onions, with more to come in the future…
Our Place – The Urban Monastery
The Urban Monk Ltd is based out of the Ōtautahi Urban Monastery in South New Brighton, Christchurch.
The Ōtautahi Urban Monastery is a space for contemplation, respite and healing. It is not aligned with any religion or spiritual code, but welcomes all.
Members of the Urban Monastery established a Trust in 2019 to support men’s well-being. The Urban Monk Ltd, while not owned by this Trust, supports that kaupapa (mission) with proceeds from its sales.
The Urban Monk was registered in 2014 after a couple of years of trials, and our first sale was made in October 2015.
Listen to more about our story in Matt’s 2017 interview with Kathryn Ryan on Nine to Noon.